Bored of your usual desserts? Here are a few ways to spruce them up. Feel free to reference the recipe section in How to Make Pesach in 5 Days for some easy recipes.
1. Make a batch of chocolate mousse and serve it in a variety of shapes and forms. You can refrigerate it in a pie crust, inside dessert cups, or in different shaped pans. You can even fill muffins-tin-liners with the mousse and freeze them. When they are frozen and you are ready to serve them, flip them upside down and remove them from the paper liners. You will see the beautifully ridged design. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
2. Make a pan of brownies. Spread a layer of icing and then vary the toppings in sections – nuts, chocolate chips, coconut. You can even keep one section unfrosted for those extra picky children…You’ll keep everyone happy at once.
3. Kitchen sink chocolate bark – Melt your favorite chocolate (you can even mix a variety of colors and flavors) and spread it thinly on a lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with your favorite toppings (assorted nuts, dried fruits, pomegranate seeds), or just anything in your kitchen (remember, it will be more creative if you use what you have rather than go out and buy something at the store). Freeze and break into pieces.
4. Ice cream surprise – Purchase store bought ice cream and partially thaw. In a saucepan, melt chocolate, creamy nut butters, marshmallows as well as anything with a crunch (think cereal and nuts). Mix it well into the ice cream. Refreeze and enjoy!
5. Fruit platters – Yes, we serve healthy desserts too! I truly believe the appeal of fruit desserts is in the beautiful colors of the fruit. What differentiates one platter from another though is the shape and layout of the cut fruit. Play around with different cuts – chunks, sliced, different angles (diagonal, curved) as well as different layouts (by color, size and shape). Also, try varying your serving platters. Do you have a go to plate that you serve your fruit on? Switch to a bowl! Are you always serving the fruit on one platter? Try putting each type of fruit in its own bowl and making a fruit salad buffet. By varying the way you serve your fruit, you’ll make it more appealing to yourself and others and will encourage more fruit intake.
Happy Eating. Stay tuned for next week’s blog on Creative Ways to Lose Weight